Infrared VS Steam Sauna – Which is the quickest way to better health?
Just as the number of sauna lovers continue to grow, so does the debate on which one is better – infrared or steam sauna. While each kind has its followers, it is kind of confusing for newbie sauna users. Others may even suggest that you try out both kinds in spas and other business establishments that offer such services. Once you have experienced using both kinds of saunas, then it is time to buy one of your own. This is definitely much better since you can use your sauna at the convenience and comfort of your own home.
Saunas bring you a myriad of health benefits through moist steam. Its floors are usually made up of either tiles, plastic, or glass. These are airtight rooms or even portable cubicles that keep the moist heat from the steam generator inside the sauna. This will ensure that you will get the full benefit of each sauna session.
When using the sauna, you can use different essential oils if you want to maximize particular benefits or if you are simply fond of a particular scent.
Common Benefits of Saunas
- Healthier Skin. The effects of saunas to your skin is almost instant. After your sauna session, you will see and feel the difference. You will look fresh and your skin will look beautifully dewy.
- Colds and Congestion Relief. If you are suffering from colds and congestion, you will get instant relief when you use the sauna. You can immediately say goodbye to breathing difficulties and discomfort.
- Muscle Pain Relief. There are many causes of sore muscles and some of the most common causes are intense physical activities and exercises, having to stay in a particular position in extended periods of time, and a lot more. A single session in a sauna will give you immediate relief from muscle pains. Aside from muscle pains, it also relieves joint pains.
- Instant Relaxation. Nowadays, stress has become a regular part of life and there is nothing left to do but to adapt. Failure to do so may be equated to failure to survive. Saunas serve as sanctuaries to others. The calm and peace each time a person sits inside gives instant stress relief.
- Detox Talks. As you will get a good sweating in any kind of sauna, it leads to detoxification as the potentially harmful elements and different kinds of impurities get off your body along with your sweat.
- Cut Calories. Sauna is a perfect element in any weight loss program. While many people go for exercise and diet, saunas are definitely a more fun and more pleasant way to lose weight.
The Ring of Steam – Battle of Sauna Champs
Infrared Saunas came to challenge traditional steam saunas. While others prefer the traditional way, there are also others who jumped at the modern technology option. However, in the battle of sauna champs, these are some of the benefits that you have to bear in mind while making your final choice of sauna:
- Infrared saunas are used not just for general wellness but also as therapy rooms. It heats your body through lights from the sauna’s heating elements. These are very popular both for people who are trying to lose weight as well as for athletes to relieve them from muscle pains. It also lets you enjoy different cardiovascular health benefits.
- In terms of temperature, traditional saunas have a higher temperature capacity. Most traditional saunas can heat up the maximum heat capacity of 185 degrees Fahrenheit while infrared saunas can only reach up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. However, some people argue that infrared saunas do not need to be as hot as traditional saunas since it directly heats your body. Therefore, those who have lower tolerance for heat usually opt for the infrared sauna since they are able to enjoy optimum heat and maximum health benefits at a lower temperature.
- In traditional saunas, the whole sauna is heated – its walls, its floors, everything. To maximize the heat, you can also pour water over the heated rocks which will result to significant increase in the humidity inside the sauna. On the other hand, infrared saunas heat your body directly through its lights so to maximize the heat and all its benefits, you should sit directly in front of the heat emitters in the sauna. Therefore, you can heat up a traditional sauna, giving you control of the humidity and subsequently, the temperature in the sauna through the steam from the preheated rocks – a feature that is not available in an infrared sauna.
- It is best to heat up the traditional sauna for up to forty minutes before you get inside while you can enter an infrared sauna at once. There is also a debate on this matter. While there are some sauna users who feel that preheating time for infrared saunas are actually wasted since this heat could have been used directly to your body, there are also others who still prefer to preheat the infrared sauna for about fifteen minutes. However, you need to bear in mind that there are other factors that can affect the sauna’s heating time as well. Some of these factors are the quantity and quality of the wall insulation, the sauna’s over-all construction, and the ventilation.
- Recommended time of use is about fifteen minutes for the traditional sauna while most healthcare professionals recommend that their patients stay in an infrared sauna for about half an hour for optimum effects.
- Infrared saunas are recommended if your top priority is either detoxification or weight loss or even both. As its heat is directed to your body, you will sweat a lot more with infrared saunas. Its heat goes deeper into your body so your body releases more toxins compared to traditional saunas.
Whichever you choose, you need to remember that there is a risk of dehydration since you will sweat a lot in a sauna. However, this is easily solved with regular fluid intake.
This shows that infrared has far more deep penetrating heat compared to the traditional steam sauna. Sometimes we are so busy in our daily lives that we do not have the luxury of time in traveling to a sauna establishment.
The infrared heat mattress comes to the rescue.
Not only it is portable, you can use it every day and whenever you are. Working on your chair or lay down on your bed. It is super convenient and there are plenty of options available. Remember to claim back your health.